Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chapter 15 - Retailing

My Recent Retail Experience...


  

    Although every Boys and Girls Clubs of America chain is based on service rather than retail, I've noticed some aspects of retailing. When it comes to chain stores, the BGCA is more of a chain organization because although the BGCA isn't really a "store," every club facility is owned by the BGCA. In any club facility, the consumer can see memberships, specialties, and departments, all that are often seen in retail stores. The BGCA adds their own twist though. When it comes to club memberships, instead of receiving rewards and discounts, members are allowed to use the facilities in the club and have exclusive offers on field trips, programs, and even job opportunities!

    The BGCA doesn't offer everything though, because they are a specialty organization. Every BGCA specializes on human development, just like Staples specializes in office supplies.

    Like a department store, most BGCA clubs have departments. If a mother is looking for morning daycare for her 2 yr old child, she will be directed to the daycare department. Or, if a customer calls and asks about athletics, they will be directed to an athletic director. Although there is a front desk in every club facility, one of the main purposes of a front desk is to listen to the customer's needs and channel them to the right department.

Source: http://citygirlnyc.com/?tag=duane-reade
    My experiences shopping at retailing stores vary with the level of service they offer, the type of ownership, their product assortment, and of course the pricing on the shelves. Although I didn't have the chance to visit a local Boys and Girls Club, I recently visited Duane Reade - a popular drugstore chain located all around New York City. Duane Reade is very similar to CVS, Wallgreens, and Rite Aid. In the pharmaceutical industry, Duane Read and others alike hold a dominant share of the market, because not only can they fill my prescriptions, but some offer 24 hour service, convenience, membership rewards, and other non-traditional items like candy or toys. That is why I chose to shop there when I realized I needed a new deodorant. There are two Duane Read stores in the area where I go to college and take the 6 train home, so it was convenient for me. I also have what they call a Duane Reade Flex Rewards Card, for loyal customers like me who enjoy the special discounts. Instead of getting my deodorant at retail price for $3.99, I only paid $2.99 with my rewards card.

      As I end this note, the one aspect of a good shopping experience that I must sacrifice when picking Duane Reade is the level of service I will receive. Many chain stores struggle to provide decent customer service. The Duane Read I shopped at was very understaffed, and the only time I saw a staff member was the one scanning my items as I checked out. Chain stores aren't like your local mom and pop stores, because consumers nowadays value a good price and convenience rather than customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment